John - Clinton, Oklahoma

12 – x – 15

A 12- x 15-foot space in Main Barracks is my world. My space. My get-away. I said goodbye to my twin brother in this room. Watched my mother cry as she left me in this room. Cried when I lost a friend in a car accident in this room. This is my room.

I don’t have much in it, but what you find in this room you’ll find nowhere else.

My cowboy hat, old, dirty, faded, unique. There’s not a single hat that can match mine. I’ve spent hours breaking it in building fences, feeding cattle, and driving tractors. Not a single person has a sweat line outlined in red from the rugged Oklahoma dirt, or has a 10X MHT Western hat with J.M.C. stitched in the right side, because it’s my old, dirty, faded, unique cowboy hat.

Rows of red T-Rex’s, blue Stegosauruses, yellow Pterodactyls, green Triceratops, and baby-blue Velociraptors decorate my furry, navy-blue baby blanket. It protected me from monsters at night when I was younger, but now serves as a reminder of home. It’s been with me every night, and has grown older by my side.

Brown, smooth leather with an oak handle on the right side—the most comfortable chair in the world. I earned this chair; worked three years for it, and I’ve finally been rewarded. As a senior lieutenant, I’m allowed under Culver’s military system to have a recliner. I have the LA-Z-BOY Baxter. It’s one of the favorite items in my room because of what it represents—peacefulness, comfort, relaxation. I do everything in the Baxter: finish homework, watch movies, eat, talk, sometimes even sleep. It finally showed me that hard work pays off.

These items might seem simple or insignificant or worthless to others, but they don’t see the true value in these items. I might not always have these items, but I’ll always remember my old cowboy hat, baby dinosaur blanket, and comfy chair.