Rebecca - Norridgewock, Maine
Themes: sports

I once read a poem by Charles Swindoll in which he said, “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you react to it.” If a person were to call me a despicable name, I would have a decision to make. I could make the move to punch him right smack in the nose, or I could turn and walk away knowing that bullies put other people down to feel better about themselves.

Having a good attitude makes me a better person. I can enjoy each breath I breathe, every moment I share, and each day that passes rather than being angry at the world because it didn’t go my way. I keep attitude on my mind in a tough situation. While playing field hockey this fall I had to rely upon my good attitude. During preseason we would run two miles in 85 degree weather, followed by a practice where working hard was the only option. It was not something I looked forward to. The girls and I would try to maintain a good attitude and say, “Just think, we’ll have better legs and better bodies than anyone in school.”

Bad days in field hockey can always do a number on my attitude. Whiffs, bad passes, kicking the ball as if I were playing soccer, and watching bruises turn black and blue the second I get hit can make me want to quit. But players with good attitude always “stick” with it. They don’t give up. Like we learned from coach, stuff happens and we need to get over it.

In games I always go on playing, even if I mess. I don’t stop and scream about it. I try to forget what happened knowing that there was nothing I could do about it now. In my all time favorite game of my high school career, the state. We were ahead for most of the game, but suddenly we were scored on and the team went flat. The second I heard the ball bang against the back of the cage, I knew I had to keep my spirit and attitude up. I yelled, “Here we go girls!” and “keep it up!” I felt I had to because that is what a captain does, but also because it was my senior year. It was the last time I was ever going to play on that team and I wanted to remember something great. I didn’t want to look back on that day and remember feeling awful.

And so I believe with Charles Swindoll that, life is ten percent what happens to me and ninety percent how I react to it. I believe that people should keep a positive attitude no matter what happens. When I stay positive, things always turn around for me. I am in charge of my attitude, just like you are in charge of yours.