Brandy - Skowhegan, Maine
Themes: children

I Believe in Daydreaming

I believe in daydreaming.

For me daydreaming is a peaceful way of escaping the annoyance of the outside world. many people have zoned out in the middle of class, just to escape the uninteresting words coming from the teachers’ mouth. Life is full of many worries and daydreaming can subside these fears for a little while.

When I think of daydreaming, I think about the innocent daydream of a child. When I was young, I wondered what it would be like to be a princess or to ride a unicorn. At 17, I now daydream about college, graduation, and independence. Whether I daydream of unicorns or college both of these thoughts offer an escape that lures me away from the world of reality.

Alice in Wonderland is a prime example of what daydreams are. Alice couldn’t focus on her studying so she dreamed up a bizarre world filled with cats, cards and queens. She tuned out from the world around her and let her imagination take over. Who wouldn’t be influenced by this story of imaginary genius? What would Alice have done if she never painted the roses red? She stepped outside of the box and into a world of her own.

Curiosity can trigger a daydream. Someone could be curious of what will happen in the near or distant future. With this spark of curiosity it opens up a world of possibility for their thoughts. It is healthy for everyone to daydream once in a while. Daydreaming can relieve people of stress that happens everyday. Life can be intense, who knows if the bills will be paid, if the children are eating their vegetables, or if you remembered to let the dog out. Daydreaming is a form of relief and an opportunity to think outside of the box. It suppresses the anxiety some people feel everyday. When I daydream its like escaping to another world, and no one else is allowed in.

There are countless situations where I remember daydreaming. With these dreams it opened my mind to creativity I never thought of. Whether I was thinking about castles and ponies or the serious realities I will one day face these daydreams were peaceful. Daydreaming relieves stress, its healthy for your brain, and helps your imagination grow. It serves a purpose in my life and has saved me from the trouble and worries of the everyday world.