Jill - Skowhegan, Maine

BFFE: Best Friends Forever

I believe in friendship. Knowing your best friend, your pal, is going to be by your side through thick and thin, is one of the best feelings you could have. Some look past the benefits of having a close friendship, like I did. I didn’t realize how important it was to have a friend when I needed it the most, until that friendship was gone.

We were in the same class since nursery school. If you saw her, you saw me. We were practically glued to each other’s hip. Every weekend we would have a girls’ night. Our mothers would find us laughing about absolutely nothing in the middle of the night at inside jokes no one could understand but us. We were BFFE’s, best friends forever. Then when middle school came, things changed. New people and new boys were introduced. I made the mistake of letting our friendship fly away. You know how girls are when it comes to boys, wanting to spend all their free time with boyfriends. That’s when the girls’ nights ended. I took her for granted; I thought I could ignore our friendship and that she would still be there for me. If I had known then how much I would regret it now, I would have acted differently.

Friends can rely on one another; they are always willing to lend a shoulder and will always accept each other. There are many reasons why one should have friends. Laughing by yourself is never fun; it’s better to share the moment with someone. You can take turns carpooling so you don’t have to waste all of your gas. But the most important reason is to always have someone there when you have nowhere else to turn. I have learned to cherish what I have, because I have realized how important it is when it’s gone.

Things have changed a lot since middle school. As high school seniors, my girlfriend and I both realize how much we have missed each other. Although there is still an awkward silence between us sometimes, we have begun talking a lot more. Having many classes together this year has helped the situation although we both know that we can never change the past. We have overcome the differences and regained some of our friendship. We have realized it is best to move on, especially when it comes to something as important as friendship.

BFFE are the letters fifth grade girls scribble in notebooks to one another. They laugh with each other and make that sacred promise. But what those girls don’t know and I didn’t know at the time, is the importance of keeping the promise and staying true. Nothing I do will ever make up for the time my best friend and I lost, but now I can tell her: relationships come and go, but best friends last forever. I think she has always known this. She has always kept her end of the promise.