A Small Change Is Enough

Onnika - Qing Dao, China

I believe in the power of the helping hand. My grandmother once said that one of our goals in life should be to make the world a better place. I have been thinking about this for a very long time and I thought, well it’s hard to change the world. But then I thought again and I realized that I don’t have to make a huge difference to the world; a small change for the better is enough.

Many of us have heard of the good deeds done by some of the famous people like Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Florence Nightingale and Mahatma Gandhi. They all had a huge impact on the way we live today. They have all had enough courage to stand up for not only themselves but also for others around them. That’s what they are famous for.

But even smaller and less famous people can make a difference in the world. Like my mother, she has started up a foundation to collect money helping the children in the orphanage. The foundation has already helped at least 40 children. It has changed their life.

My school visits and helps a poor Chinese school nearby. Some of my fellow students and teachers go over there and we teach the kids how to speak English. Whenever we teach them a new word and they start to memorize it, you should see their faces. They lighten up with happiness. And the next time you visit, they will come up to you and prove to you that they haven’t forgotten the word.

These are just small things which we do. We are not famous for doing so. We don’t need to be famous for doing it, as long as it comes from our hearts. We don’t help these children because we have to. No, we help them because we think that it is the right thing to do.

And let’s not forget another very important group of people. Somebody that has given us our future. Someone who has always been there when we feel down. These people are our parents. They raised us, they provided us with the things we need and they believe in us.

Chretien Malesherbes said, “We would accomplish many more things if we didn’t think of them as impossible.” I think he was right. If we all believe in the fact that we can leave a good memory of ourselves when we leave this planet, it might actually work. We shouldn’t hide in our cozy little house and do as if we don’t exist. Be proud of your good actions. I think we should go out there and show the people that you are also alive and that you are ready to help. You are ready to do the right thing — to give the helping hand.