Kirik - New Iberia, Louisiana

Hell people, I’ve lived for 55 yrs and I still can’t really say with authority what I believe. I can’t say that I believe in any kinda god even though I sometimes wish I’d read it all on a stone tablet dropped in my lap. That hasn’t happened yet. I’m a helicopter sheetmetal mechanic that works with a lot of other guys–just guys–mostly guys who think global warming is just a theory developed by the liberals–who think meteor crateor in Arizona is just a theory–and I have to take daily instructions from these guys. But I still believe. I believe in what I know. I believe in the best book I’ve read in the last few years (A Short History About Nearly Everything). I shake my head at the men at work who say that a crater hitting earth and making a monumental impact and changing everythng pretty much overnight is just a theory. I wish I could be like them–I wish I could believe that every thing was as it were when I was 6 yrs old. When the beautiful spotted leopard green and black dragonflies landed on my mommas clothlelines. When the mosquitos in south Louisiana didn’t have West Nile and possibly other pathogens in they’re bites. There’s something I want to believe in, but it’s hard to find it now even in a country blessed with wealth and education and riches beyond belief. This, I believe, makes it hard for me to believe in the human race as a species that will rise from the ashes and build a better society for the future.