Rebecca - Las Vegas, Nevada

One Bright Green Sock With A Fish On It

“Be thankful for your vision, no matter how imperfect it may, but don’t hide under the table when you realize that you’re wearing mismatched socks.”- Elijah Bonner

Who really cares if you don’t have matching socks on? You sleep in that extra half hour, and while running late for school you have no time to look for socks. You pick two without looking and leave. Once you get to school you realize you have mismatched socks on, and self-consciousness takes over. How many times do we feel singled out? How often do we weaken our own characters when we wear those mismatched socks?

We judge ourselves over imperfections that we cannot change, imperfections that define us into individuals.

When I first started junior high I was scared to death. The unfamiliar environment was large and daunting. I was naïve and in certain situations I did not know what to do. The first day of junior high school did not turn out like I had hoped it would. I woke up very late and I did not have time to look at what I grabbed in the drawer. I had not noticed what I grabbed until a nasty boy that I had known for quite a while laughed at me and told me I was wearing a bright green sock with fishes on them and a pink sock. I was utterly embarrassed. I thought other would make fun of me too, especially since it was the first day of school, and I did not know very many people. I was on my guard every second of that day, and for the majority of the year. I kept from making friends, and I wasn’t myself. All because of measly mismatched socks.

Nobody should hold back from who they are. Being different is not a big deal. Just because someone might make fun of you because of one little imperfection does not mean go into hiding away from the world, and others judgment. You should show those imperfections proudly. Show off those mismatched socks whether it’s green, blue, or red. Wear them without out a care in the world. Nobody can be you, you are different for a reason and you should not be judged on what others think of you or care what they think of you. I believe in being yourself, and not being scared the rest of the world will notice tiny imperfections. I believe in the mismatched socks that make you, you.