Tom - Rincon, Georgia
Age Group: 65+

Religions kill and corrupt

I believe Americans are more intelligent and skeptical than the Right-Wing religious advocates think. Voters in November spoke for a change in direction by those in charge. Get out Iraq, do something about the need for universal health care, stabilize Social Security and diminish the influence of mythology in governmental decision-making. I believe the strong showing by independents was a vote for less praying and more work by the president and his team. George Bush’s reign as the closest thing Americans have seen to a theocratic presidency may have done more good for secular leadership than any atheistic government could ever have. The large scale corruption of his appointees, says worlds about the harmful effects of mythology on government decision-making. According to my accounting every one of the long list of Bush appointees that have been indicted or jailed for various unlawful acts, beginning with Kenneth Lay of Enron, a Methodist, were practicing Christians. One does not have to go to Iraq to witness the devastation of religious influence on unsuspecting populations.

I believe as Sam Harris (“The End of Faith”), we have come to a place in world history where we cannot afford religions. They all threaten the very existence of the human race. With twenty-first century weapons so powerful that one in the hands of a religious zealot can destroy a million people, we can no longer take a chance with ideological crack pots who will take their own life and countless others just to affirm their mythical notions. Being called upon by God to make a difference in the world jeopardizes all the rest of us.