Carly - New Creek, West Virginia

I believe in using your trials to make yourself a better and stronger person. I also believe that when you have trials they are to your advantage and that they are not there to work against you. When I was 11 years old, I lived in a three–story home with my two older sisters, my younger brother, my parents, whom I thought were happy, and myself. One evening my father took us downstairs and said that we needed to talk. He continued to tell us that things between my mother and he were not working out, and that they were getting a divorce. As I heard this I ran up to my room and would not talk to anybody. He came into my room to say good–bye and all I could do was cry. My dad left that night, and I will never see that man that he was again. In six months, my mom informed us that we were leaving. As I inquired what this meant, she responded, “We are moving to West Virginia with your grandparents.” When I heard about this move, I was devastated even more than I was the six months before. I thought to myself: how could my mom take us and rip us out of our home right after my dad just left. That evening as I was lying in bed, I heard my mom crying. I went into her room and asked her if she was okay. She responded, “I’ll be fine, there is nothing to worry about.” When I went back to my room, I realized that I had to make the best out of this move. I also realized that I could not rely on my parents to make me happy; it was my job. It finally hit me that night, that when you want to be happy and you are expecting someone besides yourself to do that job, they are going to fail. I realized that I can’t control the universe, I can’t control what goes on in my family, but I can control my happiness and how I feel about myself and my family’s well being. In conclusion, I believe that this situation made me a happier and stronger person. I believe in my family and the support that I got when I moved here. I loved my home, and my family and I loved the school and my friend’s where grew up. But that night I realized that my mom needed me to make myself happy and learn that it is an inside out job.