Will - skowhegan, Maine
Themes: sports

I am a very competitive person, because of this, some people call me a sore loser, and at times I am. I don’t know many people that enjoy losing. For this reason I began to play basketball but I soon realized that it wouldn’t be my only reason to keep playing. This is why I believe in basketball.

When I was in middle school I never knew about basketball. I should say I was hanging around with the wrong crowd. Then three years ago when was a freshmen I started to play. I thought that it would feed my competitive spirit and show my athletic ability and it did. Although I was horrible I kept playing because I knew that most of the kids I was playing with had years of experience and I barely had any. Even though my team rarely won and I was far from the best player on the team I would usually blame losing on myself. So I practiced until I felt I could compete with anyone, and now as a senior I feel that I can.

Almost everyday I try to perfect my game. Even when it isn’t basketball season try to play everyday. Basketball, like most other sports, is nearly impossible to perfect. I have shot, dribbled, stole, jumped, crossed over, and drove to the hoop countless times but I have yet to see perfection in sight. It’s intriguing how after so much time and hard work I still can’t perfect my game. At the same time it’s ironic that I would stop playing if I had perfected it.

When I’m playing I feel like I get into a rhythm. The way I dribble just flows and I could just swim into my shot. When I have this rhythm it’s the best feeling in the world when I hear my shot ripping the net, especially when I have someone right in my face trying to guard me. Really when I get into that rhythm I feel like nobody can stop me. I know that sounds stupid and some people will judge me for it but it’s the truth. Now maybe it’s because of the people I have to compete against or me just getting lucky at times but to me that feeling is real and its probably one of the best feelings I’ve ever had.

For me basketball is comforting. Usually when I’m mad or sad I will play because nothing really matters except basketball. At the Recreation Center or the Rec, where I usually play, there are mostly just a few people. When I’m feeling bad I like to play by myself because I don’t have any worries. Nobody’s around and the only thing that I can hear is the ball bouncing.

Now that I’m somewhat older and a little more mature then I was when I started playing I look up to professional players and at times I’m in awe just watching what they’re capable of doing. Still when watching them, the best players to ever play the game, you realize that they couldn’t even prefect the game. Even the best player to had ever play the game once said, “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” (Michael Jordan).