Timothy - Schertz, Texas

In the novel The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera wrote, “No one can get really drunk on a novel or a painting, but who can help getting drunk on Beethoven’s Ninth, Bartok’s Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion, or the Beatles’ White Album?” As a musician, I couldn’t agree more. Throughout my life, music has always been my guide and inspiration. The decision to become a musician was one of the greatest decisions of my life. I believe that music can truly create purpose in a person’s life.

When I was in fourth grade, a group of music instructors came to my school. They played a wide variety of instruments, and told us that they were going to teach anyone who wanted to play. I was amazed by all the different sounds, but I was enthralled by violin. That night, I asked my mom if I could learn to play violin. Being the wonderful mother that she is, she agreed to support my new hobby, as expensive as it may be.

Within the next month, I was taking lessons at the school. The sound of group of beginning violinists is like the cry of the banshee, but I kept going because I found that I loved to play. I quickly began to pull ahead of the other students. I was amazed with my newfound talent. I could create something that very few people could. My music made me feel unique.

The next year, I continued to play at the school, but I found myself getting bored with the music. My aunt told my mom about an Irish fiddler she knew, who gave lessons about 20 minutes away from my house. Being raised on Irish music, I was ecstatic about the prospect of being able to play it myself. After the very first lesson, I knew that this was what I wanted to do. Unlike the music that I had been playing with the school orchestra, this moved me. This was the music that I had been waiting to play from the beginning. I devoted myself to the Irish fiddle, and never looked back.

Since then, there have been plenty of changes in my life. I have moved twice since I started playing. I have made new friends, and lost old ones. I have grown older; matured physically, mentally, emotionally. Throughout all these changes, my music has remained one of the few constants in my life. When everything just doesn’t seem right in my world, I know that I can make music. I can play something that can make people smile or cry or clap or dance. This is something that I have put my whole life into. Music has given my life a purpose, provided me with a muse, and I believe that it can do the same for anyone. I believe in the power of music.