Jacob - Glendale, Arizona

I believe that laughter is the best medicine.

All my life I’ve had a really keen sense of humor. I’ve learned that laughter can be a really good spirit-lifter for people in traumatizing situations such as the loss of a loved one or being stuck in a hospital for long periods of time.

My friend Mason has been my best friend for about three years. He and I are like twin brothers who actually get along. He and I are always joking around about stupid stuff and we seem to always have a good time with each other no matter what we are doing. About a year ago he had lost his dad to cancer and he was extremely emotional for a long period of time. Then when he came back I was there to comfort him and make sure to keep him in good spirits. Now his mom has been diagnosed with lung cancer and he is horrified of losing her but everyday I talk to him, tell him jokes, and try and keep him laughing to get his mind off of the situation. I reassure him every day that everything will be alright.

Mason has told me that my sense of humor and my companionship is the only thing keeping him from going crazy. What he said to me made me feel really good inside because its wonderful to learn that something so little such as a sense oh humor can change somebody’s life so dramatically.

At times he even lifts my spirits but I have not experienced half the things that he has. Whenever I am depressed or confused or angry he is always there to keep me in good spirits. He’ll do something so little such as a funny face and it’ll make my day a whole lot better.

Laughter may be just a chemical reaction in the brain that reacts to funny things and that’s it. But, I think that laughter is “God’s Natural Cure” for everything. Yea it may not REALLY cure everything but it sure does help.