Scott - Glendale, Arizona

When I ask you about friendship what words, pictures, memories, and people go through your mind? One idea that hits me in the face when I think of friendship is love. We get trapped into thinking that love can only exist with your special mate, that one man or one woman that you are going to spend the rest of your life with. It’s like Jeremy Taylor, an English Bishop, said, “By friendship you mean the greatest love, the greatest usefulness, the most open communication, the noblest sufferings, the severest truth, the heartiest counsel, and the greatest union of minds which brave men and women are capable.” I was raised with friends; I have known the value and the love of friendship as long as I can remember. I grew up knowing that my best friend was a girl. Someone I talked to on a daily basis where she knows me and I know her like we are the same people. And if you ask her or me we will both tell you that our friendship has been the greatest joy and love in our lives. I believe in the power of friendship. I believe in the power of friendship because I have seen it work. I have seen it overcome obstacles that no one could have overcome alone. And I believe it succeeds simply for that reason, other people. We know that alone we can accomplish nothing but when we get together our lights all combine to drive out any darkness. Because it was an army who destroyed the evil in Germany in WW2, it was the support of a whole country that got us through the great depression, we found when we worked together and not just for ourselves life was being prosperous. What drives me to believe in this great power that man has barely touched is one time my best friend called me she was crying, she told me how frustrated she was because the doctors couldn’t find out what was wrong with her. I realized something in that conversation, she didn’t want me to tell her something that would make her feel better she just wanted to know that I was there to listen to her and be there for her and let her know that I was here no matter what. That’s what a friendship is and that’s why I believe in it.