Alana - Culver, Indiana
Themes: atheism

This I (don’t) believe…

I believe… Well, I believe a lot of things. How about something I don’t believe. I don’t believe in religion. I don’t believe in the Virgin Mary. I don’t believe in baby Jesus. And I don’t believe in God.

Now don’t think that I’m some uneducated punk-ass teenager simply trying to rebel against common practice. My family went to church every week up until I was 12 years old. I can recite passages from Job and Corinthians and Galatians. I can tell you that the bible says that Matthias replaced Judas as 12th apostle. I can tell you that the Holy Spirit allegedly came down and baptized the Gentiles after Peter spoke to them. I’ve read, analyzed and memorized parts of the Holy Bible – but I still don’t believe in religion.

After I was born, my grandmother threw a fit when my dad decided that I would not be baptized. My grandmother’s argument: “It is the only way for her to be forgiven for her sins”. My dad’s arguments: “She’s a newborn baby… How many sins can she possibly have?” and “I want her to form her own opinions about religion”. My dad and my grandmother didn’t speak for a year and I remained a “sinful” baby.

I don’t want to sound like I’ve got anything against Christians. Christianity provides a great set of life guidelines, if you choose to follow them. What I do have something against are hypocrites. I have little respect for those who “dedicate” their lives to serving God, but then violate something as simple as the 3rd Commandment (Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain). After all, if they pray, they will be forgiven, right?

Maybe I’m going to Hell. But where’s the proof that Hell even exists? Perhaps it has something to do with my math-and-science oriented brain, but I find it hard to believe in something that has no proof. I’ve been told that that’s what faith is for. But who’s to say that Hell isn’t simply an imaginary place that the medieval Christian leaders made up to scare us into believing? It could be a conspiracy. Call me a cynic, but I think it could happen.

On the bright side, my lack of belief in religion allows me to believe more in other things. I believe in love. I believe in hope. I believe in passion. I believe in sleeping late, loud music, trigonometry, laughing, second chances, and the small things in life. But I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. I don’t believe in religion.