Alexis - Embden, Maine
Themes: family, gratitude

Nothing Is a Waste of Time

I believe in the importance of spending time with family. You never know when a family member could be taken away, whether by old age or unexpected means, so I try to savor every moment like it is the last.

When I was a little girl, I hardly ever saw my grandparents except in the summer when Pappy came to pick up my sisters and me to spend time at the lake. I remember our excitement as we loaded into my grandfather’s Ford Escort. It was a long ride, and once we arrived at the camp, our built-up enthusiasm exploded. We raced each other to the door to give Nana a quick hug before sprinting down to the lake to swim. My sisters and I would spend hours in the water. Pappy would chaperone us while we were swimming and we would always fight for his attention. After swimming we would dry off, and there would always be spaghetti waiting for us. Oh the spaghetti, a great family recipe that only my grandparents could make just the right way, complete with endless garlic bread and homemade salad dressing.

At the time, I didn’t think about how much it meant to my grandparents to spend that time with us grandkids. Now, I would give anything to spend such a summer day with my Pappy again. I miss my Pappy a lot and losing him has changed my relationship with Nana. Since 1995 we have been living with my grandmother; I have gotten to spend more time with her and wouldn’t trade the moments shared for anything in the world. It means so much to have my grandmother supporting me at basketball. There is no way I would rather have it than to see her sitting in the fifth row of the bleachers waving to me at home games. And there’s nothing better than reminiscing with Nana about Pappy and those fun summer experiences. Our relationship has deepened, and I am able to go and talk to her when I am having a rough day. She is always there to make me feel better.

Most people would rather spend time with friends instead of family members. It’s not that way for me. Family is like having your cake and eating it too. They are the closest relationships I have in life, the most important and the only ones I need. I know my family will love me when no one else will. When I look back on some of the successful times in my life, my family was always there by my side. Whether it’s two minutes or two days I believe time spent is well spent.