Fabio - Recife, Brazil

I Believe in America

I lived in America as an exchange student between 1992-1993 and visited the country in 2000. I can say I believe in America because of what I have expericenced on my day-by-day life.

As an exchange student I had the chance to meet people from the 4 corners of the world, including the back then recently dead USSR and the GDR. One thing I noticed was that altough the Could War was over, there was no disrespect towards the former communist kids, even tough some of them were still defending the old system. All of us had the chance to do speeches about our countries at school and at some clubs on the area, and a people were really interested into getting to know our realities. I remember one question as of today: “what is the aproximate size of the Amazon jungle compared to the continental USA?”. Another thing I remember: my school principal giving me a tape with Joe Satriani´s guitar on it.

America, I learned, is made of immigrants from the farest lands of the Earth, people who escaped from hunger and persecution and found, first at Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, most recently on the airports, the so long seeken freedom at least. This people, no matter what color of skin or religion, found there in the USA their basic human right of carry on their lives anyway they wanted.

In my country, Brazil, as well as in other parts of the world, there are those who question what will be the place acupied by America in this new century, with the rise of other important world players such as China and India. I always think that America will keep its place on the world due to two simple values that are well grounded in each of its citizens: “Freedom above all” and “Democracy”. Therefore, I can only say, I still believe in America.