Lia - Parker, Colorado
Themes: love

In my little bookshelf in my room, I keep a small journal that is embroidered with softly colored flowers and a child sitting in a meadow. This journal was given to me by the Treasure Seekers of the 2006 Vacation Bible School. Inside the journal, it reads:

“Lia’s Book of Facts!

Given the 30th day of June, 2006 by the

Treasure Seekers!”

You might be wondering at this point, “What does this have to do with beliefs?” Well, I’m getting there. Patience is a virtue, you know. There are 40 facts as of today, and my favorites are numbers four and five. They read “Fact # 4: Friends make life worth living.” “Fact # 5: So does love.”

I believe that love is the strongest and most special thing that can ever happen to a person. It is something so indescribable that it, like many other things, cannot be described twice the same way. I may not be able to convince you of this fact, but that’s not my job. My hob is to help you understand my experience.

At the beginning of the year, I was in first period English class. We played a game of decisions, the teacher read the statement and we students moved to the ends of the room, depending on whether we agreed completely or disagreed completely. One of the statements was “love is all you need.” Of course, I moved to the completely agree area near the door. The teacher looked at me, one of two people standing at that end.

“Lia, why are you at that end?” She asked. A spark entered my eye.

“Because love is amazing. I can’t explain it, but it is all you need.” The teacher smirked.

“Ah. Haven’t been burned yet, have you?”

I don’t know why that stuck with me, but as I sat down to finish this essay, that was what kept coming to mind. Yes, I have been burned. Crumpled up and tossed aside, as we all have by one person or another. Love, however, doesn’t watch your mistakes and punish you for them. Love is all about second chances, and guiding each other through the trials and hardships of life.

When I was ten, I remember exiting my best friend’s house quickly, and glancing back at a makeshift sign my friend’s mom had made.

Emergency situation, will return later.

Emergency?

I rode silently in the blue Subaru Forrester. Hannah, my best friend, avoided my gaze. What was going on? We pulled into the hospital parking lot and my stomach took a plunge into the depths of my fear. Through deaf ears, I heard my mother explain that my father’s cancer had spread to his brain, and the only thing keeping him alive right now were the machines that tumbled out from behind the bed, silently mocking my tears. As I exited the room, I remember my legs pulled out from under me, and I collapsed into a shocked heap on the cold tile hospital floor. I also remember a loving voice over me, insisting that it would be okay. It’s been a little over five years from that day, and it has been hard, but without love it would have been unbearable.

There’s a song from the movie Moulin Rouge, entitled “Elephant Love Medly”. In it, Christian sings, “Love lifts us up where we belong, where eagles fly, on a mountain high!” Only with love can we pull ourselves through life and fly with the eagles, soar with the wind, and move mountains. I believe that love keeps us sane, and love will keep us here together, forevermore.