Brigette - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: change

I believe we can grow through change.

If change is something we all experience, then why do we fear it? Our fear comes from the unknown. We fear what may happen if we accept change, even if it is in our best interest.

Isaac Asimov once said “It is change, continuing change, inevitable change that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be….”

Society pushes routines. Every morning you awake to an alarm clock set for a specific time, then you drive the unaltered route to school, progress through your class schedule as usual, eat the unchanging cafeteria food, and associate with the same people. Life seems too monotonous. Why are we scared to liven up our everyday activities? Why not drive the long way, eat different food, or sit with new people? Does change require too much effort to complete?

Everyone experiences different degrees of change. More and more it is evident that people who undergo drastic changes and work through them, emerge as stronger people. As we accept what life throws at us, we are constantly being shaped into the people we were meant to become. If a person never experiences change, how will they make it through the difficult times in life?

Death is a major form of change. It changes lives, who we become, and who we want to be. Several years ago, my grandmother died of a severe form of brain cancer. Although I miss her dearly, I know she has made me a better person. Her death has helped mold me into the human being I am. Even when she was sick, she always had a smile on her face. I can’t remember a day when she wasn’t working on church projects or volunteering her time. She infected everyone with her bubbly, enthusiastic personality. Inadvertently, I find myself modeling certain characteristics she possessed. Losing someone you cherish can be a positive or negative experience. It is up to you to decide how it affects you.

The variety in our lives will allow us to blossom into the people we want to be. We can grow and learn from the unexpected. However, it truly takes a strong person to make that happen. I believe in the importance of change.