Mark - Stockton, Missouri
Themes: Christianity

I believe in a type of peace that only God can give.

One of the most convincing “proofs” in the existence of God in my life is two specific people and the peace they shared with me. The first one is a nice, older woman who came into my place of employment with a technology question. She wanted a tape transferred on to a c.d. for durability sake. I told her we typically didn’t do data transfer as a service, but I was spellbound by her story. It seemed the tape was an answering machine tape. She had found an old answering machine tape that had been in an early 1980’s machine in her attic. It had a message from her husband who was stranded by the weather on one of his frequent trips with his job. He took the time on the message to tell her he loved her and was sorry he was gone so much. He also told her that he was blessed to have her as a wife. She, with a supernatural peace, explained to me that he had passed away within the year and she recently found the tape. The look on her face was one of expectation of seeing him again, not one of grief. I sobbed like a toddler and made her a digital copy of this piece of gold.

The second person whose peace exemplifies something more than what nature provides is Charlie. Charlie is an older gentleman in my church that always has a smile on his face. Not the fake “Wal-Mart store greeter”- type… the real deal. If you don’t know Charlie like his doctors do you would never guess his body is literally eaten up with cancer. His goes in this week for his 90th chemotherapy treatment. Seldom does a young person make it through half as many as Charlie! Sure he has thinning hair, but most his age do. Sure he misses service occasionally. If I had so many treatments that I could no longer feel my extremities, I would miss a few too. (Heck, I’ve missed church with the sniffles.) Charlie realizes his time is short, and his window to make the world a better place is closing up, but you can’t see it in his face. You can only see peace.

Philippians 4:7 (NIV) says “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” It is beyond human understanding how these two people can have peace in the midst of these storms in life. Seeing the joy on their face leaves me no choice than to believe peace comes from knowing God the way they do. If you had met these two people, I am certain you would feel the same.