Julian - Seattle, Washington
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in Forgiveness

KC had been in my class from kindergarten until eighth grade. From kindergarten until fourth grade, I hated him. After flinging strawberry yogurt in my face, I kind of had a good reason. At fourth grade, he started to hang out with my friends. He was trying to be my buddy also. Though I wasn’t accepting him as a friend, he did say some really funny things, was fairly nice and did have amazing taste in music. It was then that I realized that it’s not worth it to have an enemy when he was trying to be my friend. It was then that I realized that I believe in second chances.

Everyone deserves forgiveness. I know I’ve screwed up a few times in my life, but the people I have hurt don’t hate me for it. They forgave and forgot and it’s all good now. I know it’s a great feeling to regain someone’s trust after apologizing and I feel that giving that second chance should make someone feel the same way.

Again, everyone deserves a clean slate after they’ve done something wrong, but I’m not saying that you should put your money in the hands of a thief. I knew it was okay to forgive KC, because I could tell he wasn’t that yogurt-flinging youngster he was in kindergarten anymore. He had changed, along with my views upon him.

Also, regaining the trust of a person isn’t the easiest thing to do. I’ve ditched Devin before, and he wasn’t too happy with that. It isn’t easy to apologize, but I brought myself to it, and after a few days, he was cool about it. We’re still buddies, and for that, I am grateful.

When you do forgive someone, you feel better too. If all you can think about is hating that one person for that certain thing they did, then you’re never gonna be able to live around that. If you can bring yourself to forget what he or she has done to you, then you’ll be happier… with one more friend.

Now, it took me five years to look at KC and not remember seeing pink yogurt in my glasses. But after that fifth year, I saw him as the kind, volleyball playing, hilarious, all around cool kid that he really was. It took me a while to let him off the hook, but it’s all good now. We’re still pals. And we still listen to excellent music.