nathan - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: love

The Power of Love

Three years ago, I was just a mere sophomore with no experience or idea of what this word they call love means. All I knew was what I saw in the movies and never thought this would happen to me. Well, I was wrong and in for a hell of a ride. I believe that love is so powerful it turns a man crazy, and can even make him seem untouchable, like he is the on top of the world.

My sophomore year in high school is when I met Jamie. She kept to herself and was rather shy. However she had the most amazing smile, and always kept me laughing with her unique personality. I was attracted to her from the get go and began to sit down next to her during lunch. I was considered the jock, playing football and soccer, and she was the cheerleader later to become the captain of varsity. I would wake up in the morning and all I could think about was man I can’t wait until lunch. Slowly I began to find myself feeling something that I have never experienced. I began to miss her when she was sick, or not in lunch. I would begin to think about her outside the lunchroom, in the classroom, at home, and even when I was playing soccer and football. With so much in common it felt like we were slowly being forced upon each others life’s whether we liked it or not. As if faith had tied an elastic band around are waists and the only way to live was to live with her.

A year went bye and Jamie and I kept talking and keeping in touch. Now both single, I finally decided to ask her out on a date. I remember my palms begin to sweat, and I got real quiet as I looked down on her at her locker. I knew she knew something was weird and she began to laugh and ask me, “ Nate what’s wrong?” There I was thinking to myself man this girl is perfect, and why did my stomach feel like I had a million little creepy crawlers climbing out of the pores on my skin. Is this feeling the word that I have heard ever so often, maybe even a little too much, love?

Well three years later I am still with the same girl, still crazy about her, and still wanting more of her. I don’t know what love is and I don’t think anybody can truly define it, but whatever this feeling is it must be love. Throughout our relationship I have done the craziest things in order to show her how much I care and how much she means to me. For example running into a party where I knew nobody naked to prove to her that I would do anything for her when she did not believe me. Or the time I made her a treasure hunt beginning with her first class in school and ending up with a room full of scattered rose petals, bears, balloons, and candies.

The point is that I am powered by this force they call love in order to impress the girl of my dreams. She has made me a better person all around, and I know that no matter how bad my day is she will always be there at the end waiting to cheer me up.