Daisy - Northlake, Illinois

This I Believe…

I believe that all individuals must learn how to love themselves for who they are in order for others to do the same. I believe that society has failed to teach us that beauty comes from within.

I witnessed how my cousin was constantly disapproving of herself. She was disgusted by her appearance because since she was little it was embedded in her head that big girls were not viewed as beautiful. At the time her boyfriend, found it extremely hard to show his love and appreciation for her. He, too, was constantly pointing out her flaws and humiliating her in public. He would even tell her that he was too good for her, and that she should be grateful he was with her. I was shocked when I found out that he was embarrassed to call her his girlfriend or to even hold her hand in public. At that point I realized that he felt the same way she did about herself.

For as long as I could remember my cousin was always commenting on her “fat and ugly body.” I remember her staring at a mirror and pointing out all the things she would love to change about her body. When guys would approach her she would ignore them because she felt she wasn’t good enough for them. By thinking that way she automatically stopped others from getting to know her. Her obsession about her looks was so outrageous to the point where she didn’t want to be seen with friends and family because she was embarrassed that everyone else was prettier than her.

After observing how my cousin viewed herself I realized that she never learned how to love and accept herself. I figured that since she only knew how to dislike herself she forgot how to actually like herself. She was so focused on her “bad looks” that she taught those around her to dislike her. Especially her boyfriend, she never gave him the reasons as to why he should love her. Based on this I learned that we must all love ourselves for who we are, and by doing so we will be able to teach others around us how and why to love us. I always viewed my cousin as a kind and loving person, but unfortunately she didn’t seem to see that. I would have hoped that this belief of mine would have dawned on her. Sadly, it hasn’t and perhaps it never will. Overall, she still hasn’t realized that she is a beautiful person in the inside as well as the outside.

I believe that there are many more women and men out there who are going through the same situation, and I believe they all deserve to love and to be loved. With this experience I learned how vital it is for all of us to love ourselves and love one another. I believe we shouldn’t base love on physical beauty but rather on internal beauty.