Christy - Franklin Park, Illinois
Themes: hope

Miracles do Happen

When was the last time you felt that miracles are real and that they can happen? When I think about that question, I also think about how to define a miracle. Some look at it as an act of god, a wonder, and even a supernatural cause. As for me, I try not to think of it as an act of anything. I look at it as how things are supposed to work out. It’s not luck, it’s not supernatural; it’s something unbelievably great that’s meant to happen. Of course, when I look at it that way, it kind of defeats the purpose of the word ‘miracle’. I call something great that happened in my life a miracle, and not just luck. I like to think that things happen for a reason, and not just out of a coincidence or lucky situation. Heck, I can even say I’m a miracle! According to my mom, I’m lucky to be alive. According to me, I’m meant to be alive.

When my mom was pregnant with me, she was busy enough taking care of my two brothers. When she went for her first check up, she was expecting a good result from the doctor. Instead, she came to find that there was a tumor right next to me, but it was so minor at the time the doctor wasn’t too worried. The doctor was hoping that the tumor would remain as small as it was until my mom had me, so he kept a close eye on it for the next 21 weeks. When time came to 22 weeks, the tumor became very serious and it started to affect me and my mom. We both were in so much danger that the doctor had to do the procedure. My mom told me she will never forget the words, “Be prepared, you might lose your baby.” My mom had to go through the procedure of removing the tumor, even if it meant that she could lose her baby. Not only was I at risk of not successfully living, but my mom was at risk too. It put a lot of stress on my family.

Everyone was there to help my mom out. Everyone made sure she was never alone and made sure nothing bad happened. It was a rough week before the surgery; I couldn’t even imagine the feeling of being in that kind of situation. This is kind of ironic because I was there but not there at the same time. It’s just good to know that I’m here, she’s here, and everything’s ok.

After the procedure was done, my family was excited and thankful to know my mom was ok. Unfortunately, I still had a little trouble. My mom went into labor at least 7 times, but couldn’t have me because it would be too early. As hard as the doctors tried, I was still born 3 weeks early, but at least I was alive.

To add another great miracle to my mom’s experience, the doctor told her before I was born that I was a boy. My mom was more worried about me surviving, but my mom and my dad were hoping for a girl. Either way my mom was happy with what she had. When the time came where the doctors told her I was a girl, words couldn’t even explain how happy she was. She got exactly what she wanted. I believe that miracles do happen.