Rachel - Mariposa, California

Last night while I watched the bloody violence and gruesome scenes from the television series, “Rome,” I asked my friend, “Has there ever been a time when humans were loving and kind?”

I believe it’s no wonder wild things fly or run when they see us. I believe we are poisoned by what we see and hear. We often pour off a scent of depravity and fear, not love.

I believe I might do better not to listen to or read the “news.” I believe that our souls falter and vanish when we are assailed by such bombardment and incorporate it unwittingly.

I believe that we can learn to solve most anything by opening our inner and outer ears to listen to something else.

I learned this six years ago when I responded to an inner voice that told me to drive 13,000 miles around America with only my dog for company. On the way I forgave family members I was holding grudges against when I visited their gravesites and began to retrieve my own soul.

I now listen to a Sage within that I used to pretend I did not know. The Sage is a quiet but persistent voice available to everyone and is not an auditory hallucination.

Some people refer to God–and follow a rigid set of rules–which do not exclude torturing, killing children, slaughtering wild creatures, and desecrating the earth.

The Sage of whom I speak has spoken to me

when I am all alone, sitting on a rock beneath the trees, or walking along a quiet road with my wonderful dog. Sometimes it speaks when I first wake up.

The Sage tells me when to call a friend, when to speak up. It tells me what I need and what I don’t. I can hear the Sage’s voice from dawn to dusk. It floats along with me at night in my world of dreams. All I need to do is listen

and take action or slowly assume a change of heart.

My inner Sage is not a conscience;

not a hack promoter of successful careers–

celebrity, wealth, happiness or power.

It will never insist that I pay attention.

Other voices tell me to make an easy choice–

Lead me to big-screen TV, eat another dessert, buy new gadgets–

Avoid pain of self-denial or confrontation.

Sometimes the Sage will guide me

To walk lonely paths in worlds previously unknown to me, where the true soul of my humanity may again walk with me, through the dark, and hold my hand.

This I believe.