Barry - Silver Spring, Maryland

I Believe in Volunteering.

I believe in volunteering to help my fellow man and I believe that doing so helps me believe in myself. And I believe that tonight I will make a difference in someone’s life.

After working all day at my “regular” job I will spend at least 12 hours volunteering at a local Rescue Squad. As a volunteer Emergency Medical Techncian I have spent many sleepless nights at the station helping any and all who call for help. Knowing that I will get out of bed to help a stranger, who may or may not actually be in trouble, each and every time allows me to understand that when my family needs help, someone like me will come even when I can not be there.

Not everyone understands why those of us who volunteer to help others do what we do or why, but I believe that we each make the community better by doing so. Helping our fellow citizens helps each of us to understand both the good and the evil in them, but helping them helps us belive that we are doing the right thing by answering the call for help.

It isn’t easy to not be home on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or have to be at the Fire House on my daughter’s birthday – or Valentine’s Day, but I believe that the opportunity to help others in trouble makes up for the missed holidays. Maybe next year…

I believe that volunteering to help my fellow man helps me to believe in myself and that I can make a difference.