Derek - Santa Clara, California

I believe there is a God. There was a time I didn’t, but I do now. It’s not that “I have this faith, or this belief in my heart, and nothing you could say or do can shake my faith.” I don’t feel that way at all. Actually, I enjoy talking to people who don’t believe in God. Every time I do, I come away with an assurance that my reasons for believing He exists are stronger than theirs for believing He does not exist. The evidence He exists is simply overwhelming. It is found in the order, beauties, and complexities of the universe. It is found in the enormous number of witnesses, both ancient and modern. Belief in God is a testable proposition, and every time I apply the simple test of prayer, I find that it works.

Believing He exists informs every moment of my life. I don’t have to be greedy, because I know He provides for His creations, and He will provide sufficient for me. I love the blue skies, the colorful sunsets, and the star-spotted sky, believing that He created all this as an artist creates on a canvas.

Believing in God encourages me to love people of all cultures – after all, these are God’s children too. I love to learn their language and their customs. I love to try their food, wear their traditional clothes, and laugh with their children. The more I know the people of the world, the more I will come to know the One who created them.

Believing in God helps me love my family. Since God loves all of us, I can love my family even when they make choices that hurt others or me. I don’t give up on my relationships, but I keep working to make them better; I believe that He designed this family for my happiness.

Believing in God keeps me from thinking I’m always right. I can learn from others because He created them, too. If He created them, they must have something valuable to offer.

Believing in God helps me understand the suffering that exists in this world. Since God has never forced me to do anything, I can understand why suffering exists – He just isn’t the kind of being to force people in their choices. Sometimes that means we hurt each other. I don’t think He likes it, but He does let us learn from it. I find that as I follow His counsel, I avoid much pain and suffering. Things that still go wrong in my life no longer make me unhappy. Believing in God motivates me to alleviate the suffering in others. God has given me much, and He expects me to give to others.

Believing in God helps me believe there is a purpose to family, love, beauty, sex, and all the other things that He created for me to enjoy. This life is the best I will ever have because it is the life He created for me.