Wendy - Stamford, Connecticut

I Believe in Mothers and Grandmothers

There was a time when I believed that I would not and could not turn into my mother. But now that my son and daughter-in-law are expecting their first child I believe that if I did not turn into my mother this grandchild and any of my future grandchildren would never know a grandmother’s unconditional, selfless love; they would never know that a grandmother’s arms and home will always provide a safe haven; that a grandmother can be a friend, a teacher, a mentor; that a grandmother can have more patience, understanding and tolerance then she might have had as a working mother herself; that a grandmother can wipe away the tears and cheer you up by giving you that extra cookie before dinner; that a grandmother can help you name your imaginary friend(s) and invite them to play; that a grandmother can laugh at every joke you tell, no matter how silly; that a grandmother can hold you on her lap and read you a story over and over and over again; that a grandmother can help you explore the world and find your way if you feel lost; that a grandmother can soothe a broken heart; that a grandmother can give you strength, courage and hope; that a grandmother can do all this and so much more.

I believe that a grandmother can be like no other person in your life.

I believe that I can be that grandmother and I believe that the best way to honor my own mother and grandmother is to become my mother after all.