Amy - Prairieville, Louisiana

The Power of Music

Think of how our lives would be without music. Every significant memory in my life has a song associated with it, and whenever I hear that song, I am instantly transported back to that place or time in my mind. There have been several times that I have had a bad day and a certain song has come on the radio and instantly made everything better. Have you ever seen a movie clip before the accompanying soundtrack has been added? No matter what drama is being played out on screen, it always lacks something. Often, music is what clues the audience in on what they should feel during a scene, whether it’s fear, wonder, anger, or twinges of romance. I believe in the power of music. Few things have such power over our emotions the way that music does and, like a movie without the soundtrack, a large part of my life would also be lacking without music.

With a musician for a father, music has always been a part of family gatherings. It’s kind of how we bond. The fondest memories of my childhood were spent sitting on the front steps of our trailer with my dad while he played his guitar. Together, we sang gospel hymns, Don McLean, Neil Young, and old folk songs. He worked away from home a lot but whenever he was home my nights were filled with music.

When I was seven, my parents divorced. My father moved back to Mississippi to be near his family and, despite my mother’s family being there also, Mom and I stayed in Louisiana. Though we went to visit my grandparents often, it was rare that I got to see my dad. But whenever we did see each other, the guitar would come out and we were taken back to those nights spent on the front porch, just me and him. No matter how much space grew between us, music always brought us together. Even when he did a stint in the county prison, they let him keep his guitar and he performed with “Setting Captives Free”, a program that ministered to inner cities through drama and music. I saw him perform one Easter weekend, and I have never been more proud of my father.

Since then, he has been released and music still plays a huge part in family gatherings. This Christmas, I got to be a part of my dad’s family celebration for the first time in years. After dinner we all gathered together around the tree to sing and just enjoy each other’s company. It was at that moment with all of us together enjoying the music that I really felt the love and togetherness of family. It’s music that brings out the love in us. Music is our love language.