Caitlyn - Wheaton, Illinois

I BELIEVE MY FEET ARE UGLY FOR A REASON

I believe that my feet are ugly for a reason, and they are no more ugly than any other persons. The are hearty, the skin thick and the toe nails strong. I believe that they are the strongest part of my body. They carry not only physical weight but my emotional weight as well.

“You have hobbit feet.” I remember my brother saying that to me when he was trying to start and argument. I quickly hid my feet in shame knowing that there were not very attractive. But his comment made me think about my feet. If you wore the same pants your whole life they would not be very attractive either, in fact they probably would have fallen apart after a few years.

I wear size 9 ½ shoes and crazy as it may sound, finding shoes is not easy. I hate every second I have to wear shoes. I want my feet to be as free as they can. Often I only have two or three pairs of shoes. I may have soles brown with dirt by the end of the day but I would trade that for the sweaty gym socks and gym shoes or point toed high heels any day.

Sometimes, I decide to treat myself and go to get a pedicure. After all the scraping, filing and polish is finished, I feel like a new person. My toes are decorated and my feet have been scrubbed clean. But in time the polish will chip, the skin will callous and my feet will once again be dirty. They may look glamorous for a while but within a few weeks they will be back to the way I know them; imperfect, calloused and dirty.

I have been through a lot in my life, both good and bad. I have both made and lost friendships, watched family move away and some move back, seen births and watched deaths. Every time I feel like falling and giving up, my feet were there to catch me. Every time I feel like jumping for joy my feet were there to help me soar into the air. There is nothing that has been so constant as me feet.

No matter how much you try to cover up your feet, the cover will always chip away and show your imperfect, calloused and dirty feet. When I notice people looking at my feet I never try to hide them anymore. No matter how much wear and tear they have, no matter how ugly someone else might think they are, my feet reflect my like and I am proud of them. I believe my feet are ugly for a reason and they are no more ugly than any other persons.