Misha - Indianapolis, Indiana
Themes: carpe diem, place

I believe that life is short. When I was younger, every day seemed to last 48 hours instead of 24. My only worries were playing with my friends and having fun. As I grew older, I found time flying by, until I was out of elementary school and into middle school. I had to focus on my homework and soccer, and later on, track. The three years until high school seemed long and out-of-reach. Sixth grade went as quickly as fifth grade, and seventh grade soon followed. Then, I was in grade eight, the top of the school. Eighth graders had seemed so grown-up to me my whole life, and now I was one of them. High school loomed nearer. I was half-scared, half-excited. Now, I’m a freshman and first semester has already gone by. Life seems permanently fixed on fast-forward mode.

When I think about some of the things that I did when I was younger, I cringe. Some of the memories are embarrassing, and the others are just wrong choice that I made that I wished I had chosen differently. I can be very wishy-washy, so it’s hard for me to make a choice, and then I regret the choice that I do make. Then, I’ll keep on regretting it because it has consequences, even when it’s years later. For example, I didn’t want to learn how to ride a bike when I was little, so I had to learn when I was older and it was more embarrassing that I didn’t know how. Some of the things I did, I didn’t even realize how embarrassing or wrong they were until I got older. My relatives live in Singapore, and when I went back there to visit them, sometimes I acted like a brat. I sulked when I got my hair cut and cried about it. At the time, I was just miserable and wallowing in self-pity, even when there wasn’t anything to be pitied about, but now I’m ashamed of how I acted when I was younger, and I wish I had done something different. I’m trying to change that now. I’m aiming to live each day to the fullest, and live life, not just exist in it. I want to look back on my childhood when I’m older and smile, instead of wincing at all the unhappy memories I’ve had.

Adulthood is coming up fast. I’m scared and nervous about what the future will bring. I’m working harder than ever in school and homework because I didn’t realize how quickly graduation is coming up. Middle school-some of the best years of my life-went by so fast for me, I know that high school will go just as quickly. I have to think about the future, and I’m a little scared that I’ll soon be out there, having to support myself on my own.

I believe that life is short. Get out and do something with it before it’s too late.