Chelsea - Cornville, Maine

I believe in mud sliding. It’s a wonderful activity that many ages enjoy. No matter who you are or where you’re from if you want to go mud sliding, “Have at it!” One instance in which I encountered mud sliding changed my life in many ways.

It was spring of my junior year in high school and I was participating in track. After track practice on a rainy day, I rallied up a few of my friends and raced rapidly towards the old football field. By the time we reached the field, we had already thrown off our shoes anticipating the gooey mud that would soon “squench” between our toes. Brandy and I were the first to engorge ourselves in mud. We were soon followed by the guys and Britny when we began to realize how much fun this activity really is. We al exclaimed different things about what we were doing. Things like “this is great!”, “watch this”, and “I hope Hylan doesn’t catch us”. The fears of being caught begin to fade as we rolled like pigs in the brown. We began to notice that we were attracting spectators up in the weight room window. By this time there were only a few of us left. As the rain poured we continued to give the watchers a show. Rolling, sliding, twisting and turning throughout the mud we made it look miraculous. Finally we decided after eating at least a couple of pounds of mud that it was time to go inside. We retired from this event with moral promise that we would soon do it again.

On that day I learned to believe in mud sliding. It’s a powerful freedom: the freedom of CHOICE, the choice to slide throughout that brown, cold, and mushy earth. The freedom to tick my parents off by infusing my clothes with dirt.

We dashed toward the mud and soon our feet flew out behind us and we were skipping across the MUD like stones across a lake. As water poured from the sky we piled into the mud; we got up and ran again hurtling our bodies through the slippery mud.

To me mud sliding is like a religion. Religions like many of us have where we can sit in a church through a service just because we believe. We have the choice oh which services we want to go to, where we want to sit in them and what type of religion we want to have in the first place. It’s a belief in freedom. The one place you can be free to immerse yourself in mud. The freedom of mud sliding may lead to the freedom of soul and allow you to choose what you want to do for events in life later on. It’s the choice; the idea of being able to do something that may seem so crazy to someone else that it will drive you to be different or great. It all starts with the small choice, the small freedom that can be irked by that one little smack into the mud and it can grow and blossom into the freedom to live. The choice to grow as a person and live how you want to freely without the worries.

I believe in mud sliding: a wonderful and inspiring activity that can be enjoyed by all ages. Simply find some mud, slipping off your shoes, and slide like splatter into the gunk. It’s a simplistic event that could lead to an extraordinary life like the belief in a religion that makes your life have more meaning just because you believe.