Miranda - Norridgewock, Maine

I believe in communication. Thanks to the first amendment, people in this country- unlike many others can communicate. They can express their thoughts, feelings, beliefs and ideas. Whether you’re talking to your neighbor about this weekends forecast or having a heated debate with your dad about politics you are able to speak freely.

I believe that no matter the circumstances, if there is communication, things will get better. Ronald Reagan, 40th president of the United States, was dubbed “the great communicator.” He was known for his ability to express ideas and emotions in all different ways. His humor made everyone comfortable and willing to listen. Reagan himself said, “I never thought it was my style or the words I used that made a difference: It was the content. I wasn’t a great communicator, but I communicated great things.” He used his communication skills to keep the nation aware of what was going on around the world. When the Challenger accident occurred on January 28, 1986, he postponed his State of the Union address to address the nation on the accident. He spoke kind words and although no one was even close to recovering, his words offered hope that things would get better.

I believe that communication is essential to the world today. If every country in the world decided to keep to itself and not communicate, the world would not grow. We learn through communication. If Germany found a cure for cancer tomorrow but didn’t tell anyone, people in other countries would still be dying from cancer. If all countries communicate with each other, then maybe we can find the cure for cancer much sooner than if we all just keep to ourselves. On August 10th British officials arrested 21 people in who were going attempt to blow up planes flying from the UK to the United States. If Britain hadn’t warned us about the near attacks, we wouldn’t have restricted carry on items to protect our nation. This type of communication is esential in today’s world.

Communication sometimes requires special skills. If you hopped on a plane to Japan and tried to talk to one of the natives, you would probably have more luck staying home and trying to talk to your dog. Language is one of the great barriers you have to overcome for communication. People spend their lives studying other languages so that they can communicate with people from other cultures. I am taking French and Spanish in school because I want to be able to communicate not only with people in my country, but with citizens of others as well.

Whether you’re talking to your friends about plans for the weekend or speaking at the U.N. about world hunger, I believe that communication can only make thinks better. I believe in being able to express your thoughts, feelings, beliefs and ideas. I believe in communication.