Rachel - Norridgewock, Maine

I believe in the power of dance.

Ever since I was four years old, I remember going to dance classes. My mother used to dance so –of course– she put me into dance classes. I am still dancing with the same teacher that taught my mom.

In the beginning of my dance career I began with tap and ballet, and as the years went by, I added more. After enduring many grueling rehearsals, I realized how much I hate practicing. Every week we would practice, again and again until we couldn’t dance anymore. I would sweat, bleed, and shed tears, and still, I would have to dance until I was perfect.

My dance teacher, Mr. Adams, is extraordinary, and the best dancer I know. He’s had his own dance school for fifty-two years and is still going today. He is a big influence on me; he pushes me to excel. He makes sure students understand what he’s teaching and if they don’t understand, then he practices with them one-on-one. He doesn’t give up on anyone. He devotes all of his time to dance. He is at the studio every day of the week, even after a couple heart attacks. He does a wonderful job at preparing us for our performance we have at the end of the year.

There’s nothing more exciting than being in that performance. I’m onstage, dancing to a piece called “All That Jazz” from the musical Chicago. Hundreds of people are watching me, waiting to see what I’m going to do next. I let my mind and my worries go, and just feel the beat of the music. I do turns and jumps across the stage, hoping all of the practicing pays off. And as the music ends and I freeze, smiling center stage, the audience stands up, clapping and screaming at my performance. That is what I live for. That is why I endure all of the strenuous, late night practices. I don’t dance just for glory; I dance for what I feel inside.

Mr. Adams has been powered by dance for 52 years now. My mom and I have also been powered by this belief, and someday I hope my own kids will believe too.

I give it everything I have because I believe in the power of dance.