Joe - Weymouth, Massachusetts
Themes: setbacks

I believe that it’s better to try and fail than to never try at all. This belief has been demonstrated throughout my life. I have always felt that I should try rather than say I can’t do it. I have lived this belief mostly through sports. When I was young, I tried various sports, such as baseball, basketball, football and karate. I learned that all weren’t for me, but I tried them instead of saying “I can’t do that”. Some were harder than others, but by trying different sports, I was able to decide for myself what was best for me. For example, basketball- not for me. I did try it, but I realized that I didn’t especially like it. Also, karate was something I tried and stuck with for a while, but then I realized that I really didn’t enjoy it anymore. But by at least giving it a try, I don’t have any regrets now, wishing I should have given it a shot. I’m really glad I gave football a try. I didn’t start playing until I was in eighth grade, which was sort of late, since most kids on my team had been playing for a few years. It was the best decision I made because I really enjoy playing. It was hard for me starting late but I kept with it and didn’t allow myself to feel “not good enough”. Football has been a positive experience for me… I have learned many things besides the rules of the game. I’ve learned about teamwork, dedication, commitment, leadership and friendship. I feel that it has given me more confidence in my life. If I never tried football, I would have missed out on so much.

By trying new things in life, I have learned about myself. I have learned what my strengths are and also what my weaknesses are. I feel that this belief has been a great asset in my life so far will continue to benefit me throughout my life. This I Believe