kelsi - USA

I believe in always respecting and befriending people no matter what. My mother always told me when I was young treat others as you would like to be treated.

When I was younger I had a lot of friends, but they weren’t always nice to everyone else. And I would think of what my mother would tell me about being nice to people even the ones you don’t know, and I never thought about it until fifth grade when a new girl came and had no friends at all and my friends kept teasing her because she was bigger than the rest of us.

One of those days when my friends were teasing her I decided to go up and say hi, but she just ignored me the first time and said why would you want to talk to me? Your friends were just making fun of me and now you want to talk? I thought that was kind of weird because I had never been asked why I talked to someone.

A couple days later I went to say hi again, but this time she didn’t ignore me she said, “Hello”. It felt so good to have made even the tiniest amount of difference in her life because before I talked to her, nobody had. When she began telling me about herself I thought “Wow what a cool person. What didn’t I see in her before?” But then I realized why I hadn’t talked to her before and she must have seen it in me and that’s the very next question she asked me.

After that long conversation over break time we had to go back to class, but I felt so different in a very good way.

When the school bell rang to end the day she came up to me and asked what I was doing on the weekend, and I hastily replied I don’t know would you like to come over to my house?

After that day at school we instantly became the best of friends. Sadly to our horror her mom told her that because of financial problems they would have to move back to Iowa. The day she told me we were both so upset and almost in tears but we knew that our last day to see each other had to be special.

Later on at the end of that day she had told me something I will never forget “it was so nice to be able to come to a new school every day knowing that I had you as a friend and you would be there for me”. I felt so unbelievably sad when she left.

I truly believe that every one should be respectful to anyone they met and everyone they know. With what my mother taught me I have learned to be a much better person and a great friend.