Amanda - seattle, Washington
Themes: hope, purpose

This I believe

If you’ve ever seen “Forest Gump”, you have probably heard Tom Hanks’ famous quote, “Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know whatcha gonna get.” Well it’s true. You just reach in there, pick up a piece, hoping it will be good, and bite into it. The next thing you know it’s like some nasty strawberry filling of some sort. That’s why I believe you should hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

This belief is very important to me because you can’t really control your life so you hope for the best. We as teenagers are at such a young age; we don’t know what we want in life, which is why we prepare for the worst. Things could happen that change your life but as long as you prepare for it, it wont be as bad as you think. There are times that there may be one of the happiest moments in someone’s life. On the other hand there are bad times that are devastating and life changing.

I can definitely say that my belief has been tested many times by family, friends, and even by myself. I can’t tell you how, it’s too personal; but it is the strongest belief of mine and it’s how I live. I’m not proud of the things I have done, but I know that I have prepared myself the best I can in every way possible.

I’m not saying to do bad things and be prepared for your consequence; it’s not a karma thing. All I’m saying is that good things happen in life, but bad things do too. There are some rules that go along with this little belief of mine.

1. It is okay to make mistakes

2. Never put yourself down

3. As long as you think everything is going to be okay, it will be.

One of these days your going to remember this essay and you’ll think back about how right I was. How you’ve learned from your mistakes and how you were ready for anything. Well my friend, you are now prepared for the rest of your life. It doesn’t take a scientist to get what I’m saying, as long as you hope for the best and prepare for the worst; you’ll do fine. This I believe.