alex - northampton, Massachusetts

I believe in pizza: hot, perfectly cooked pizza– with hot stringy mozzarella and a mean Italian sausage.

You see, pizza is the heart of America, not only in the fact that it’s been a huge culture icon or the fact that it creates relationships within cities (“New York style creams your deep dish Chi-Town”), but rather the obvious relationship it shares with American virtues. That brick-oven crust and tomato sauce may look good together but under that cheese they do not and cannot mix together, rather they are layered, creating constant separation. But in the end, that American pizza pie sure tastes good.

Whether big or small, pepperoni or sausage, thin-crust or deep dish, pizza gives the American people a reason to get together. Without the pizza, why show up? If you take away the crust from a pizza its not a pizza anymore is it? You need all the components of the pizza in order to call it a pizza, just like how one cannot call America “America” without the many cultures existing here, like the ingredients in the pie.

We need to stick together, we cannot completely separate or else, just like without the crust there won’t be pizza, there won’t be America. Now you can tell why George Washington never wanted Americans to form political parties. It brings us apart farther than calling a Slovakian, Czech. You hippie grungy liberals. You super conservative southern Baptist, just stop whining about each other and just fix the problem at hand, don’t try to fix each other (you won’t). The crust can never mix with the tomato sauce.

I believe in the metaphorical connections between America and pizza, along with pizza itself. Not for reasons known rather for reasons not. Pizza is great but I’ve never tasted the African equivalent, but for obvious reasons, it just wouldn’t be the same. And that pepperoni? Sausage? Mushrooms? The cultural topping to the great American pizza pie, it doesn’t just make it taste better, it gives people a reason to come, and keep coming. We just taste better.

And that’s something I believe in.