gerardo - wapato, Washington

Discrimination is a big problem that exists throughout the whole world. We all have been discriminated at one point and we also probably have been discriminating someone intentionally or unintentionally. Sometimes you don’t even know that you discriminate someone.

I personally have felt discrimination, when I was on 8th grade in Mt. Adams Middle School my teacher, Mr. Parker told me to read a story in front of his class. When I grab the book and start reading it, I was very edgy that the students around me were snickered at me when I try to pronounce a word I was so self-conscious that, I decided not to speak on front of his class again, even if my grades went down. Another reason for which I have felt discrimination may be my skin pigmentation, the students of my English class were always just looking at me like if I was an out of the ordinary. They were telling me that I look browner than them others told me that I look to white and that they didn’t want me close to them. When that happened, I was scared to go back to school, because I was much slighted. My parents told me if I really want to do something in life I better go to school, because it doesn’t matter if the students don’t like me I go to school to study not to see if people like me. But I discovered that discrimination does not only affect me, it also affects most of the people one way or another.

I also discover that on my origin country also exists discrimination. When I went to Mexico on 2003, it was everything the same people making differences between each other, just because some people were richest than others. Like my uncle Freddy he is a very rich man and he always was telling us that he has more money than my family.

I believe that if we really want to be treated with equality we should follow the example of Martin Luther King Jr. when he made his speech against discrimination “I have a dream” he said “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judge by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

I think that we can make a big change if we not judge people before know them and after all respect them as ourselves. The discrimination it is no good at any way, If you say hi to someone and that person is just looking at you on a bad appearance and don’t answer you, stay back and don’t try to talk again because that person is racist. Discrimination affects me; discrimination affects you, discrimination affects to everyone.