Real Happiness lies within

Srinivas - USA

When I first came to United States, I did not have much money. My company, which was based in India sent me here. I used to think that money was my key to happiness in life. As I became reasonably well-off financially over a period of time, I realized that money was not the only thing which would keep me happy.

Real happiness and peace lies within. I realized that I can choose how I react to trials and tribulations in my life. I can either just sit and do nothing and feel sorry for myself or I can take the initiative and think about how I can overcome my obstacles in life.

Here are some doors to Happiness which I believe can be opened by personal change within. Note that none of these personal changes cost a thing.

APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE NOW

Very few people count their blessings. I learned to be happy with what I had.

TREAT OTHER PEOPLE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED

Whoever said “What goes around comes around” was a very wise man. The world is like a mirror. If reflects your thoughts, feelings and opinions.

GIVE BEFORE YOU RECEIVE

If you want something you have to give first. If you want to be loved, you have to love first. What you want could be love, name, fame or riches.

LIFE IS A CONTINOUS LEARNING EXPERIENCE

Whatever you experience every single day, ask yourself “What can I learn from this experience?”. One must learn to treat ones failures as learning experiences, as stepping stones to success. Remember a journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step.

EXPRESS YOURSELF

Do not bottle up your emotions . Find a way to release them whether thru meditation, physical exercise or thru sharing with your loved ones.

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH YOUR NEAR AND DEAR ONES

Spend as much time as possible with your family and friends. Being isolated brings discontent.

PREFER VIRTUE OVER VICE

A person leading a depraved life will always have guilty conscience.

HAVE FAITH

Never underestimate the power of faith in God and in ourselves.

PRACTISE MODERATION

Be it eating, talking, sleeping, drinking, working or playing moderation is the key to a healthy and happy life.

PATIENCE AND PRESEVERANCE CAN OVERCOME MOUNTAINS

Practise patience and perseverance in your endevors. Be it relationships or a job promotion.