Crystle - Skowhegan, Maine
Themes: forgiveness

At fourteen years old my life changed. I got sent to Maine and both my mother and my father were not allowed to have anything to do with me. Waking up every morning and knowing that my life was never going to be the same was one of the hardest things that I went through. I asked myself every day why is my mother a drunk and why does my father beat me? Every day I was angry and wanted nothing to do with the world; I had too much hate inside of me to think that anything would ever change. I lost all hope. Then I was brought into a healthy, safe environment and realized that all I needed in my life was forgiveness: I needed to let the hate and the anger go. I needed to put all the pain that my parents gave me behind. More than anything, I believe in forgiveness.

What would life be without forgiveness? Life would be empty and incomplete. Without forgiveness there would be more hate than there is now. There would be more pain in the world than what we feel now. Forgiveness offers an opportunity for the other person to get a second chance. Why stay sad, why stay angry, when forgiving the other person can be so much easier?

Forgiveness is found everywhere including movies, literature and day-to-day events. In the movie A Walk to Remember, one of the main characters is a troublemaker that is very popular in school. When he falls in love an unpopular girl, she has to take a

giant step to forgive him for all of the times that he used to make fun of her and pick on her in school. After she was able to forgive him for all of the pain that he caused she no longer had the guilt and the hate to bother her. In the movie the girl was sick and was going to die. She kept from him the entire time that she was sick and when she was to the point of death he was devastated. Without this man by her side dying would have been so much more painful. The forgiveness is what kept them together and what kept her alive longer.

When I knew that I was in that safe place and I knew no one was going to hurt me, I forgave my father for what he did and for the person that he is. I forgave my mother for her flaws and the pain that she caused my brother and me. Being able to forgive and forget what they had done made me feel so much better about myself.

Forgiveness does not always have to be people saying that they are sorry. Forgiveness doesn’t have to be shown to anyone else but you. As long as I knew that the hate and the anger were not going to bother me anymore, I was one step closer to forgiveness. I was able to forgive without calling my parents or writing them. I was able to forgive in my heart. Forgiveness has brought me further in life and showed me that nothing is worth the time to be held down by.