Conor - Fayetteville, New York

No Cure

December 8, 2006

Some people might say what do I know about anything I’m only 15 and still in high school. Like my parents say to me over and over, I’m too young to know what’s best for me. Reality struck me like a bolt of lightning when I was in 6th grade. I was becoming ill when my parents and I didn’t know what was wrong.

While I was in class, all of a sudden I started feeling excruciating pain in my stomach. I often had to go home because of it. It went away after a few hours after I got home. Then I felt as good as new every time. But then it happened again and again. My parents got worried that it was something worse than a bug or virus.

Eventually my parents’ conclusions were correct. We went to the family doctor and he said I should get a colonoscopy. This was not a good sign because this test was to check for very bad things. The results of the test were pictures of scars everywhere throughout my intestinal tract. After waiting and waiting, the results came in. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease and the pains I was having were called “flare ups”.

Now I have to take medication every day and every night, So I don’t have another “flare up.” It’s just an extra thing in my life I have to do. I missed half of the school year each time from 6th and 7th grade because the pain was so excruciating. It wasn’t just coincidence that I got this disease. I inherited this trait from my uncle on my mother’s side.

But my uncle was very lucky because he had a less serious case of intestinal problems. So I just got the short end of the stick by getting a more serious case of intestinal problems. But this does not hold me back from doing well in school and having fun. So I believe that anyone with or without diseases in any situation can achieve greatness. It doesn’t matter where you come from. It doesn’t matter if you’re African American, Arab, white, gay, poor, rich, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese! It doesn’t matter. Because I know for sure is that anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it.