Elise - Indianapolis, Indiana

I Believe in Music

I believe in music. Without music I don’t know how I could survive. I am constantly singing or humming and I think there is a song for every sing mood, person and aspect of life. I love how no matter how I’m feeling, music can make me feel better. Just to be able to sing gorgeous music and express myself through my voice really keeps me a happy and sane person.

I don’t know a life without music. Before I got into music, I’d hear my sister practicing for hours on the piano and I just loved listening to her. Then when she started playing flute in middle school I would sit in my room, next to hers, and just enjoy her long practice sessions. My brother also played an instrument, the French horn, so our house was constantly filled with music. When I was in second grade my parents made me join the church choir and I haven’t stopped singing since. We’ve changed churches a few times and now I’m in an amazing choir and the music we sing astonishes me every time we sing it.

Songs express the feelings I can’t quite express myself. I love the wide rang of musical possibilities. With just eight notes, and their sharps and flats, so many different songs can be composed. Write it in a different key and the whole mood of the song changes, which truly amazes me! Adding a sharp or a flat on a certain word can change the whole meaning of the song. There is just so much to say through music.

I have horrible days, as does everyone and it feels so relaxing and good to scroll through my Itunes and find the perfect song for my situation. Sometimes I’m so happy that all I want to do is sing. Sometimes, when I’m feeling really good about myself, I get ambitious and put myself to the test by singing a high D flat… just for fun!

I always lose track of time when I’m singing. My favorite parts of the week are choir rehearsal at church and the service where we get to perform our magnificent sacred music. When I hear the choirmaster start playing the piano for our warm ups, a feeling of pure delight comes over me and I go into my happy place and sing the best to my ability. Singing the harmonies to songs and knowing that I’m a valuable part of a gorgeous song really makes me feel marvelous. I love who I am when I’m singing. Music is all I need to survive, and this I believe.