Jason - Indianapolis, Indiana

I believe in that people should not assume or judge someone till they know about someone.

In this day and age it is hard for people not to assume. For many people assuming is like second nature for them. They will see someone on the streets and automatically think something about that person that might not be true. I believe in a more positive and kinder future where people are not judgmental about others. A place where everyone is thought of as an equal individual. All this sounds too good to be true. I mean there will always be someone that thinks only of themselves.

I can relate to this belief. In the past everyone that would look at me would think automatically, “Man that kid is a fat A#$.” I may be fat but because people assume and judge me it leads me to unspeakable paths. By just assuming things about me you might change my life and turn it in to a life of pain and misery. Today still people assume negative things about me and what do I do? Well I do what I can to ease the mental pain that grows within me.

I am not the only one that feels this way. There were several times in the past that had this “problem” too. For instance back in the time of slavery where about every black man or woman would be thought of nothing more than dirt. They were like property to the white man. He would never se a future scholar or future doctor, no all he saw was cheap labor to gain a prophet. Now that is a judgment over there looks not for there actions or personality.

Now something more resent was the terrorist attack on 9/11 where some Muslim men hijacked a plane and flew it into a building. Now because of this incident many Muslim Americans were getting blamed for something they never did. Just because a different group of people did something to terrorize the U.S. any one that resembles them will be thought of as a criminal to this nation. Think of how it would feel like to go through all the pain (mentally and physically) all the Muslims had to go through. Now is that not acting a little over dramatic?

Do you see how much assumptions can break us as a nation. That fact that people assume things about others is just morally disgusting. This is a quote that really sums up what I am trying to say, “When you ASSUME you make an ASS of U and ME.” This I believe is a true statement.