Chris - louisville, Colorado

It’s not everyday that I find a person in life that I can count on. In fact, I think it’s a rare occasion when you find someone that you can truly be yourself around. I believe that this person can take many roles in a person’s life, and here’s my philosophy:

The best friend: this is the person that you have probably known the longest and share the most in common with. They are always there to talk and rearrange their schedule to make room for you. You can always count on them and they know they can do the same with you. The best friend is the person that ditches school to come over to your house and throw you in his/her car and make sure you have a good time no matter what is going.

The family member: you have known them all of your life, and therefore know what irritates, angers, or makes them laugh (and vise versa). A strong bond exists between all family members and they are behind you 100% no matter what path you choose in life (though they don’t like to see you turning to a life of crime). Your mom, dad, brother, sister, etc. know who you truly are and aren’t fooled by the different masks we sometimes put on.

The outsider: this is a person you might not have met yet. Everyone has an outsider, it might be a friend you never really got to know, or someone you have never even met before. The outsider type of person you will room with on college and have the best time of your life with, the kind of person that you will be friends with even after your 50th birthday and you both have a family and jobs. I believe most people meet outsiders when they leave everything behind and go on to college.

I believe that everyone has elements of these important people mixed into their lives. Maybe they don’t have all of the elements, but every category has wiggle room for those people who change roles and become the best friend, family, etc. its important for everyone to have someone that they can count on in life, because we cant do everything alone. And when we try, life becomes a chore instead of, well, LIFE! So build your relationships, be kind to strangers and help the unwanted. You never know, they may just be the best friend you ever had!