Katie - Hickory, North Carolina
Themes: change

I believe life is like a box of chocolates—a box of chocolates full of different colors and flavors. Each piece received represents a different stage in life.

I received my first piece of chocolate when I was just a baby, when my parents gave me my first taste of life. Throughout my younger childhood life was very sweet, like a creamy piece of milk chocolate. Those sweet days were when my mom and dad were my best friends and the biggest drama was falling down on the playground. I miss those sweet days.

My second piece of chocolate was not so sweet. I received this piece when I began attending school. While at school I was introduced to new people, places, and ideas. School is not just about educational learning, but about growing and learning who one is as a person. That’s why this piece is called the learning piece of chocolate. It’s still milk chocolate but with some nuts; life was still sweet, but with the nuts it started to get a little crazy. Even though those days were crazy and wild, they were still incredibly fun. I made friends during those sweet, crazy years that I will have for the rest of my life.

I’m now on my third piece of chocolate. This piece was given to me when I began high school. It isn’t as sweet as the past two pieces, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t any good. This piece is a rich, bitter-sweet dark chocolate. In high school I have been blessed with many new friends and acquaintances, and have been faced with many new situations. This piece of chocolate represents the richness of life and life lessons that I’ve learned while growing up.

Life has given me many different pieces of delicious chocolate, and I hope that there are more to come, but for now I am thankful for what has been given to me and what I have learned in my experiences. Each piece of chocolate gives you something new and wonderful, and I am learning how to make the most of it, and no matter what to never give up, because something better may be waiting for me in the next piece of chocolate.