Zachary - Seattle, Washington

I believe in friendship. More specifically I believe that what you do is not nearly as important as who you do it with. It is more important that you enjoy who you have around you, than it is to do what you enjoy. This means that if you surround yourself with the people that make you happy, no matter what you do with them, you also will be happy. For example, after school on most days I will walk home with my friends. My friends live about fifteen minutes away from my school, and we all walk in a big group of the neighborhood kids. I am the only person in this group that lives in the opposite direction of the school, meaning this walk, for me, is a total of a half an hour out of my way to get home. However, I have no problem making the trip because I enjoy myself so much just being in their company. It amazes me that even something as little as just walking, can be the best part of your day, if you do it with the right people.

This is a very important belief to me because I’ve had some good friends, and then I’ve had some great friends, and no matter what we are doing, I always enjoy being with my great friends more. I’ve come to realize that I could do something that I really enjoy doing with some acquaintances and I would have fun. Or I could do something that I don’t really like with my best friends, and I would have a blast. Trying to come up with a belief for this essay, all I could think about was friendship. And I realized that friendship is one of the things I value most. Whatever I do in life will be better if I’m around the people that will make it better.

This belief has never been challenged, and it has never been altered, it has only been proven. Because it doesn’t take long to figure out that if you don’t enjoy who you’re with, you wont enjoy what your doing. And I don’t mean that you don’t ever need to make new friends or meet new people. It is just always nice to have a great friend by your side when you go out to meet these new people and make these new friends.

This has affected who I am today, because I have learned that although it is important to try new things, it is always important to always remember that I can’t always choose what happens in my life, but I can choose who I’m with when it happens. And I can choose to be with the people that will help me to enjoy my life completely. The most important thing is that you enjoy the people you are with. If you spend your whole life just being with the people that don’t make you sad, you will live you life without being sad. But if you spend your life with the people that truly make you happy, you will live a very happy life. And that’s why I will always believe in friendship.