Lauren - Hickory, North Carolina

I believe in morals and standards for myself. Confucius once said, “The main object of conciliation lies in reaching a solution to a case based upon morals and with a warm heart.” Confucius’ meaning to this statement is to explain that people can overcome anything with morals.

My freshman year in high school was filled with high school drama, social clicks, and certain standards for the “in crowd.” Drugs especially were the new rage for our school. I personally lost a friendship of six years to drugs. Isn’t it still amazing how people can choose substance over a presence? Well that is high school. Every action has a reaction, and every decision has a consequence; drugs will have a consequence. A negative reputation seems to be apparent when people start experimenting with drugs, but with morals you’re more likely to turn away and stand up for what you believe to be right.

Brian Tracy voiced, “You can become an even more excellent person by constantly setting higher standards for yourself and then by doing everything possible to live up to those standards.” Standards for me basically involve my academic status and my personal goals to succeed. Making honor roll, getting into college, being drug free, and being financially stable are goals that I strive for in my everyday life. The dreams and morals I have for myself have helped me make it through high school and not be belittled by peer pressure. In the end, having a strong sense of who you are, admirable morals, and commendable reputation for staying true to yourself makes you more a leader rather than a follower.

Life has always had a way of throwing “curve balls” at you, and my best advice is to take it one day at a time and stay true to yourself. Confidence, independence, and strong beliefs will always be a constant in your life when people let you down.