Alexander - Danvers, Massachusetts
Themes: science

Alex Wilson

Modern Medicine

I believe in modern medicine. Without it, I might be a cripple, my mother would have no job, and my grandmother might not have won her battle with cancer. Modern medicine has played a huge role in my life, and the development of the modern world.

My first experience was when I was five. I was having trouble swallowing and I was choking on my food. My mother took me to a doctor, and he decided that my tonsils needed to come out. With the help of modern medicine, I was put under anesthesia and the tonsillectomy was successfully performed.

My second experience was when I was seven. I was with my family and friends, playing on the wooden house. I feel off the roof and broke my humerus. I was taken to the hospital, X-rayed, and released. My mother had a few questions, so we went up the street to a neighbor, who is an orthopedic surgeon. He discovered I had a broken arm and said I needed to wear a sling. Had I not been able to go and get an X-ray, I would have done nothing to my arm. Also, if I had not worn the sling I could have caused more damage to the bone.

My third experience with the miracle of modern medicine involves my grandmother. She was diagnosed with beast cancer after a mammogram. She under went a lumpectomy and 8 weeks of radiation therapy, and her cancer was defeated. My grandmother is a living example of the miracle of modern medicine. Had mammograms not be created, surgery not been invented, or radiation been tamed, my Grandmother might not be with us now.

My final experience is the longest running to date. It is my mother’s employment. She is a surgical nurse at Salem Hospital. When she comes back from work she has stories that amaze me about diseases and surgical procedures that hopefully save her patient’s lives. She has told me throughout the years about new technology that reduces surgical time and hopefully patient recovery time.

Modern medicine is a miracle that has been the greatest ally to human kind. It has evolved as we have, and new fields are being discovered and researched every day. Strides have been made to help humans in need that were impossible 10, even 5 years ago. Who knows, we even might find a cure to every one of our diseases. This is the miracle of modern medicine.