Barbara - Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Age Group: 65+

This I believe

I believe there is a silent minority, of the silent minority. These are the citizens who fall through those invisible cracks we hear about so often. Those natural citizens, stoic, patient and proud. The elderly dementia patient, the developmentally delayed. The plaintive voice heard from the end of the long hall in every nursing home.

I believe I must advocate for you, before I become one of you.

This is a great nation where freedom reigns and liberty is the word spoken so often in the halls of Congress.

A nation who after 230 years finally hears the whisper of change and attention. Where mainstreaming is a new innovation. Where Home Care is the new buzz word.

The loud proclamations made during the ‘feel good’ times before elections. Noble pronouncements and promises are made to garner one more vote; and they fall back into the cracks right after that vote is counted.

I pledge my voice to you, I will speak out and advocate for the voiceless ones, whose cries cannot be heard from that crevice built into our systems. In the name of profit, cracks and pitfalls are added in the small print. Of course a flood is an act of God, so is life and death. Winds, wars, widowhood, wash outs, blizzards, and El Nino fall under that banner.

They are called by many names, but all are the land mines of living in this free society. My Grandmother taught me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And so I will commence upon my lectures, squeaking as loud as my voice will carry.

This I believe – Speaking for the voiceless has become my occupation I must pursue, before I become the latest victim of the fracture that rents our society.