Amanda - White Swan, Washington
Themes: equality

In the classical piece of feminist humor titled “Why I Want a Wife,” by Judy Syfers, she wrote “I want a wife who will keep my house clean, a wife who will pick up after my children, a wife who will pick up after me. I want a wife who will keep my clothes clean, ironed, mended, replaced when need be, and who will see to it that my personal things are kept in their proper place so that I can find what I need the minute I need it.” Say that every woman was like what Judy Syfers has come to describe a woman in the eyes of a man, which would be that women waited on their man hand and foot. This I have come to believe in is Equality; our own declaration speaks about equality between men and women, so why now in this generation do we still have women who play housewife? Why do some men still think that a women’s role in life is to bring kids into this world, raise them, and while doing that keep a well-kept house? How would men feel if they were put in a woman’s shoes?

In the movie, Stepford Wives a woman, believe it or not, creates a robot man in the form of her husband who left her. He convinces the other men who live in Stepford, to develop a way to control their wives without them knowing. Each of the women that now live in Stepford was once successful in their careers, but their husbands became jealous of their success. The men implanted a chip in their brain that controls their thoughts, to where they meet all the men’s demands. This movie reminds me of how women were treated in the old days. These women did not work. They cleaned, cooked, and looked after their kids. In a way this movie is like Judy Syfers writing in “Why I Want a Wife,” but put into a motion picture. These women pretty much did everything a man wanted. But why should a woman be made into a housewife, if they have so much determination to be successful in life. In the movie, all these husbands had wives who were more successful and they were seeing what it’s like being in a woman’s shoes, they didn’t like it. They were left with the household chores, the taking care of the kids, and having dinner ready on the table when their wives got home. So in this movie only one couple realizes what it is to show equality. The man, Walter Eberhart, realizes that his wife, Joanna Eberhart, isn’t there to wait on him. She is there to love him, comfort him, and cheer him on, but only if he does the same for her. So you can see that equality is like math, in a way, what you do for one, you must do for the other.

As I said the movie reminded me of women back in the day, which would be Colonial Times, where in New England women who were married would have to be subject to authority to her husband, having to do whatever he may have demanded. Women were expected to be pious, god-fearing and law abiding people, pure, and submissive to men. In our world today, they wouldn’t call that equality. I think I would view that as a man thinking he has ownership over his wife. From what I researched, what movies I have seen, and some things I have read, I have come to think that in a man’s eye, a woman is there to wait on him, as though she was only brought on this earth for that reason. As said in the Bible, God created man first; he thought he needed a suitable partner, so he made birds and animals. God figured out the birds and the animals were not the right kind of partner for him. So as man slept He took out one of the man’s ribs and made woman. As God presented her to him he exclaimed, “Here is someone like me! She is part of my body, my own flesh and bones. She came from me, a man. So I will name her Women!” So looking back on how man and woman were created you will notice that women were not brought on this Earth to wait on man. You’re probably thinking that God made women for man so he could have a suitable partner, so doesn’t that mean she has to follow his orders? I don’t think so. God made woman for man but he chose to make her out of man, as a way of binding the two together, demonstrating that man and woman are equal.

Looking back on how woman was created, you may have noticed that we are equal. God made woman out of man, He may have made her for man, but He made her so she can love him, comfort him, and cheer him on, not just wait on him. Some women do the household chores, the cooking, and the taking care of the kids out of love, hoping that the man would do the same. In this world today, I would expect a man to be able to fill a women’s shoes, and vice versa. I am not saying that all women are being treated unequal but that everybody; man or woman should know how to show equality. Equality is one form of the word equal, which means evenly portioned or balanced. Take equality in terms of math, what you do to one side of the equal sign to balance it out, you must do to the other side. Man and women may be on different sides of the equal sign, but the sign, in a way connects the two. It is kind of like how God took one of man’s ribs to make woman as a way to bind the two making them equal. So what I believe in is equality.